Opal®, Kale and Pomegranate Salad
- Serves: 6
- 2 bunches fresh broad-leaf kale (consider mixing green and purple varieties for color)
- 1 pomegranate
- 2 Opal® apples
- ½ cup walnuts
For the dressing:
- Zest of one orange
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 cup olive oil
1. Wash and dry the kale, then tear or chop it into bite-sized leaves. Remove the seeds from the pomegranate.
2. If desired, toast the walnuts for a few minutes in a dry skillet over medium heat. Stir frequently and remove from the heat immediately when browned and fragrant.
3. To make the dressing, zest an orange with a grater. In a small bowl, add orange zest, 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice, 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar, 1 tablespoon honey, and 1/4 cup olive oil. Whisk vigorously to combine.
4. Cut the apples into thin slices and toss them with a bit of the salad dressing to keep from browning.
5. To serve, place a bed of kale on each serving plate. Top with apples, pomegranate seeds, walnuts, and a few spoonfuls of the dressing.
This was recipe was developed by A Couple Cooks.